
(Pulitzer Prize Winning Photograph by Kevin Carter)
Within this picture is a story that grips at the very core of you.
I have heard this photograph referred to as "the photo that made the world cry".
I highly recommend reading the time article on Kevin Carter as well because he became a story in his own right after he took this photo.
Initially when I saw it, I just felt a great sense of Despair.
Pain. Anguish. Isolation.
In my head, I heard my conscious say:
Is he alone?
Where is his/her mother? father? brother? sister?
Anyone?
My brain was incapable of processing the sheer amount of tragedy that was being processed.
But I couldn't turn away.
To turn away from the image felt that I would be turning away from the child.
And then I though about the Kevin Carter.
Did you save him/her Kevin?
Did you scare the vulture away?
Did you put him/her in your car and drive him/her to the nearest aid station?
How does someone move on after taking a photograph like that?
The current reality is that Sudan is actively closing down and blocking aid.
I can't even imagine the type of horrors that they are facing now...
But there are other children and people out there that need help and a couple of ways that we can do that is through personal sponsorships and/or micro loans.
I beseech you go to the following websites and to do whatever you can because one child dying of starvation is one child too many.
World Vision
Kiva
Within this picture is a story that grips at the very core of you.
I have heard this photograph referred to as "the photo that made the world cry".
I highly recommend reading the time article on Kevin Carter as well because he became a story in his own right after he took this photo.
Initially when I saw it, I just felt a great sense of Despair.
Pain. Anguish. Isolation.
In my head, I heard my conscious say:
Is he alone?
Where is his/her mother? father? brother? sister?
Anyone?
My brain was incapable of processing the sheer amount of tragedy that was being processed.
But I couldn't turn away.
To turn away from the image felt that I would be turning away from the child.
And then I though about the Kevin Carter.
Did you save him/her Kevin?
Did you scare the vulture away?
Did you put him/her in your car and drive him/her to the nearest aid station?
How does someone move on after taking a photograph like that?
The current reality is that Sudan is actively closing down and blocking aid.
I can't even imagine the type of horrors that they are facing now...
But there are other children and people out there that need help and a couple of ways that we can do that is through personal sponsorships and/or micro loans.
I beseech you go to the following websites and to do whatever you can because one child dying of starvation is one child too many.
World Vision
Kiva

No comments:
Post a Comment